Podivín is one of the oldest towns in Southern Moravia and has had a strategic purpose since early Middle Ages. It lays on an elevated plateu, and at that time was surrounded by a river and a swamp. In 1067, a castle stood here and its purpose was to protect the Dyje river crossing. Direct references are documented in written sources of the Chronicle of the Czechs by Cosmas.
The exact location of the castle has never been identified. Podivín received a town status in 1222. Podivín was entitled to its mintage rights and was the center of a decapitation court. Podivin’s coat of arms has displayed two-tailed lion with a golden crown since 1297. Podivín was granted many rights leading to a designation „a royal town“.
John´s castle, photo by L. Hrdlička
Densely populated Podivín became a symbol of religious tolerance. Christian and Jewish communities had lived here together and were joined by Anabaptist-Haban community in the 16th century. Fishing guild acquired the most important significance. The Duke of Lichtenstein constituted „The Book of Fishing“ in 1717 which confirms the articles of a fishing guild. The original book has been preserved until present and is owned by Subsidiary Fishing Club of Podivín.